INCIDENCE OF SNAKE BITES
There are around 8000 snakebites recorded in the USA every year.
DEATHS ATTRIBUTED TO SNAKE BITES
On average 12 people die from snakebite in the USA every year. The number of fatalities attributed to snakebite in the USA is relatively low because of the following reasons:
- Snakes are shy animals – Snakes will only bite as a last resort
- No venom injected – Not all snakebites result in envenomation
- Public education – People generally know to treat snakes with respect
- First aid – Development of effective first aid procedure
- Medical technology – Development of effective antivenom
It is important to treat all snakebites seriously to prevent complications arising through incorrect identification.